- Does the monthly premium represent a good value? Some Medicare Advantage plans may have premiums as low as $0, but remember that you’ll still need to keep paying your Medicare Part B premium, along with any copayments, coinsurance, or deductibles that your plan requires.
- Is the annual deductible amount something you are comfortable with? (can be as high as$6700 out of pocket per year )
- What are the initial coverage and out-of-pocket limits? Unlike Original Medicare, every Medicare Advantage plan has a yearly maximum spending limit; once you reach this limit (which includes the deductible), the Medicare Advantage plan covers 100% of covered medical costs for the rest of the year.
- Does the plan include additional benefits, such as routine vision or dental, hearing, or health wellness programs?
- Does the plan include prescription drug coverage? Are your current medications included in the plan’s formulary or list of covered drugs? What are the copayment and coinsurance costs for the drugs you take? (Please note that the formulary is subject to change; you’ll be notified by your Medicare plan if necessary.)
- Does the plan have a provider network? If so, are your current doctors and health-care providers included? (Please note that provider and pharmacy networks may change at any time; you’ll be notified by your Medicare plan if necessary)
- What is the plan’s star rating? Star ratings are one way to gauge a Medicare Advantage plan’s performance. Each plan is given a rating between 1 to 5 stars, with 5 stars being the highest quality score.*
Every person is different, so you’ll want to carefully research Medicare Advantage plan options in light of your specific health needs and budget. Keep in mind that plan costs, benefits, service areas, and provider networks may all change from year to year, so it’s a good idea to review your coverage every year and make sure it’s still a good fit for your situation. Taking the time to shop around and compare Medicare Advantage plan options in your area could save you money on out-of-pocket costs.
If you’re ready to start browsing plan options, eHealth’s Medicare plan comparison tool may be useful. You can find Medicare plan options based on location, insurance company, premium cost, and more. Our plan finder tool is a convenient way for you to com-pare plan details side-by-side to ensure that the most important aspects of your healthcare needs are covered.
If you’d prefer to get help over the phone, you can also give us a call to speak with a licensed insurance agent. Contact eHealth today to get customized assistance with your Medicare coverage needs.